Sunday, January 8, 2012

Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full?

      Over winter break I visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago with my family. I was skeptical of the artwork at first. I don't tend to understand how a painting of a green square can be considered a high value piece of art. Even though I don't quite understand or like contemporary art all the time, there was one painting that caught my attention.


      The painting is by an american artist Jo Baer. It was painted in 1967 and simply called Untitled. The painting is of two boxes outlined with two borders, one black one red, and a white center.

      At first, I didn't understand the painting and was about to ignore it write it off as just another "green square" painting with no meaning. However, when I read the description the painting made much more sense. The painter is basically asking the question: Is the white part of this painting EMPTY or FULL? The center does have white paint covering it, but white is often connected with emptiness. When I first observed the painting I thought of it as having a blank, empty middle. Upon further reflection I realized that the border almost is signifying that the middle area is important or else there wouldn't be a frame, making me think that the center is full.

What do you think of this painting? Is the center full or empty? What do you think the artist thought of the center? Would you consider this a "good" piece of artwork?

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting idea, Alexi. I would've at first agreed with you that this painting is boring and empty, but now that I have thought about it, my mind is changed. You ask the question if this is a "good" piece of artwork, and I would say that it is necessary to define "good artwork" first. Does this particular piece of artwork display specific skill and talent on behalf of the artist? No. But, what it does show is the thoughtful process that the artist must have went through in order to simply create the idea behind the picture. I think that "good art" should not only be judged by the final product, but also by the steps taken by the artist to conceive thoughtful reasons for creating the art.

    ReplyDelete