Sunday, April 15, 2012

Covert Depression

      As I've started to do research for my junior theme I've been looking into male suicide and depression. Throughout my research, a name kept popping up, Terrence Real. I learned that he was a therapist that had written a book specifically about male depression and the experiences he has had with it in his many years as a therapist. It turns out this book was exactly what I had been looking for and began to help me answer my why question. It gave me a lot of insightful research about why men were not getting help with their depression and consequently committing suicide.

      In his book, I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression, he talks about the problems men face receiving help for their depression. He talks about what he calls "covert depression." Basically, he believes male depression tends to be hidden under other behavioral aspects thought of as typically male. So the family and the man himself does not believe that he is depressed, simply just having typical male problems with "alcohol and occasional violence" (30). Instead of being sad or tired all the time, like most women, men become more violent and irritable. There is then difficulty diagnosing and treating depression for men because most people, including psychologists, do not quiet understand the differences yet in symptoms for depression between genders.

      Even more so, men are afraid that if they admit to having a problem they will be rejected. In his book he talks about a study where males tried to get support from their roommates about their depression and "they met with social isolation and often with outright hostility" (38). Men are often expected to be stronger and able to handle their problems by themselves. Our society tells them that they have to be the strong and fearless ones, any weakness must be squelched. Depression is seen as a weakness, not as a medical issue, so men have trouble seeking or accepting help for it. Overall, I thought it was a really interesting book and have gained a lot of insight from it. I would recommend it to anyone looking into the topic of male depression.
What are your thoughts on "cover depression"? Why do you think men are unable to talk about their depression? Does our society hold men back from expressing their feelings?

No comments:

Post a Comment